Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

How many frogs?

I thought my desire to write this blog had been temporarily halted by partial Holiday spirits and other things far more important that are swirling through my head.  Alas! Something happened that made me want to write.  You see, writing/typing is a way for me to express my creative side but it's also an outpouring of sorts.  When a situation doesn't call for tears, it definitely calls for a pen and paper or in my case a laptop and a blog site because it begs to be written somewhere.  It all started off as a joke.  Join a dating site!  What's so bad about that?  Nothing at all, except I didn't want people searching my name and my photo randomly appearing under a dating website.  So, in light of that, I decided I'd join a not-so-mainstream site which I hurriedly told the people that it mattered to, making that point, moot.  Here I am on a Monday night in November, laptop in hand, website on screen, the stage is set. I started typing my information very gingerly being careful to write who I really am but not divulging too much to keep a sense of mystery.   A few paragraphs about who I want to meet, what I like, who I am and 34.99 charged to my debit card later and I am up and running.  It was surreal, exciting and scary, reminds me of the feeling I got when I would go on stage for a dance recital.  Front and center, spotlight on you, there is nowhere to hide.  As I dance my way into people's heartstrings, you ask yourself questions like: Will they like me? Will they understand what I am trying to convey?  All you could do is hope.  I don't even wish for a standing ovation, I just want for people to comprehend the essence of what I am trying to convey through rhythm and body movement. After a few hours, in come responses.  Wow, there are a LOT of single men out there.  I suppose finding a single guy is not the biggest predicament.  The problem lies within finding a guy that understands your dance, your substance and someone whom you are attracted to.  Shit, did I join the wrong site?  Should I join another one?  Maybe, I should double my chances.  Nah, one should be enough...for now. After all, there is no sense of urgency and I think bearing that in mind is what keeps me sane. I have a great life, 2 great careers, a wonderful daughter and an independent spirit. All of this keeps me very busy.  So, meeting someone is not top priority but would be nice.  A cherry on top of my very own version of a Sundae.  My first date from the site, seemed very promising, good career, great photos, seemed like a normal guy and very funny, I LIKE funny more than I like handsome.  We decided to meet.  I suggested a place near where I live and it was rebutted with another suggestion, which I then rebutted again with another suggestion.  I didn't know coordinating a date would be as difficult as a chess match with what seemed to be a Bobby Fischer of dating.  I was trying to meet near my town and all he wanted to do was meet in the city by his house.  Either this guy wants for me to see his house very badly or he hasn't gotten laid in decades and wants me to be his victim.  Well, it is NOT going to happen!  I am not going to bore you with the dinner details.  It was not bad.  He was funny, charming and hot to trot.  He also very impatiently wants to show me his "house" -  So, here's a question I am dying to ask,  why can't successful men just cool it with the "showing of the house" bit?  It isn't like the world is going to end tonight and I will never again see your fabulous place filled with designer furniture and your big-screen-plasma-tricked-out-surround-sound-system-bad-ass TV and your view of the Bay Bridge.  Or is it?  I know you’re successful and you put a lot of effort into making your place as immaculate as your resume and as spotless as your pin stripe suit.  I get it!!  So, why can't you tell me about yourself and connect with me on a human level?  What?  You are incapable of that? Seems to me these days you either get a successful man with no emotions or an emotional man who is broke or worse yet, a broke unemotional wreck of a man.  How's that for a choice?  I think, I'm going to pass.  Makes me wonder, are there any normal, successful, sensitive men left?  Or are they all married or gay?  They say you have to kiss a lot of frogs to meet your prince charming but there's a boat load of frogs out there and not enough prince charming.  Seems to me the ratio of frog to prince is very unfairly tilted to the frog side of the equation.  That said, I am still grateful for these experiences.  Grateful to have this journey that keeps me entertained and laughing.  It makes me a stronger person, with even stronger convictions.  It helps me confront my fears and look at things from a different perspective.  It re-instates in me that being an optimist is what feels right for me.  Life is short, therefore, I strive to be happy.  Next.

1 comment:

  1. You are willing to be genuine... You have a fun way that you write... You ask yourself a ton of good questions....

    Sounds like a brilliant formula for a great blog.

    Kindest regards,
    Tom Bailey - your first follower.

    ReplyDelete